The Hare and Hounds Inn / The Temperance Hotel
There has been no public house in the village for over a century, but the principal public house during the nineteenth century was the Hare and Hounds Inn (now known as ‘Church House’), situated on the village green. In the 1841 Census, the publican was the "well-respected" Joseph Squire, aged 65, who was the son of Jonas and Susannah Squire and had been born in the village. He was then a widower, his wife, Mary, having died in 1840 aged 50. When he died in 1865, aged 90, it was taken over by his daughter, Elizabeth (b.c.1809), who never married. Elizabeth, then aged 93, was still recorded as the Innkeeper in 1901.
The newspapers do not contain many references to the Hare and Hounds Inn. A number of auctions of livestock and wood appear to have been held there from time to time and, as the final "Broadwoodwidger Rent Audit" by the Luxmoore family was held there in 1907, it may be that their annual meetings relating to the payment of tithes in past years had also been held there.
By the time of the 1911 Census, the inn had become known as the Temperance Hotel and was now run by Elizabeth Squire's niece, Rebecca, who had had a close involvement with the Inn for many years – she was staying there at the time of the 1851 Census. Rebecca was the daughter of Elizabeth’s sister, Jane Northey, and, in the 1870s, married John Jackman, a farmer, and they and their children lived at the Inn thereafter, albeit John had died by 1901. However, by the time of the 1914 Directory, the Hotel had closed.
The Thornmoor Inn
There was another public house at Thorn Moor in the mid-nineteenth century. This was at the thatched property now known as Cobble Cottage, but which in the past has been referred to as 'The Cottage, Thornmoor' or 'Thornmoor Cottage'. The 1850 Directory lists a Thomas Walter as a victualler at Thorn Moor and he is also listed as a publican there in the 1841 Census. Walter and his wife, Mary, were both born in Lifton, and he is still recorded recorded as the inn keeper in the 1861 Census, albeit then aged 74. However, he died that April. The pub was then taken over by John Littlejohns, but, in the 1866 Directory, he indicated that he also operated as a tailor. Littlejohns had been born in Broadwoodwidger in c.1826 and was married to a local girl, Charity. They had been living locally at Thornmoor at the time of the 1861 Census. However, by the 1870 Directory, Littlejohns merely refers to himself as a tailor. During the time the cottage was used as a pub, it was owned by Elizabeth Whear of Chelmsford, Essex, but, in 1884, John Littlejohns was able to buy the property for £60. He and then his son, Frederick, who was a great supporter of the local Baptist Chapel, continued to operate as tailors from the property - Frederick dying in 1952 and the property only being sold in 1966 upon the death of Frederick's wife, Florence.
(with thanks to Liz Hartley and Gillian Dubey)